Friday, December 24, 2010

Ahh..It's That Time of Year Again...

...THE PEACEFUL TIME...

There is a kind of excitment at this time of the year, as we look past this last week in anticipation of a coming new year...a reflection of the past year, what worked for us, and what didn't.  And there is a "looking ahead"..that we do almost as instinct, at this time of the year.

There are last minute projects to wrap up, many people are off from work and school now, so there may be relatives to see that you haven't seen in a while, or traveling to do....

The past year was a trial for many, to say the least, and we all wonder if things will improve, or prove to be more of the same...one can only hope for the best, and plan out what we would like to see come to fruition for ourselves, and our loved ones, and look forward with a positive mind...

Every year we all have a chance to make plans to grow, as individuals, partners, parents, neighbors...in general, as human beings.  To make ourselves better people....kinder, more thoughtful, understanding of others sufferings and triumphs..perhaps thinking less of ourselves, and OUR rights, and putting ourselves in the places of those who may think differently, and/or live differently, then we do...("walk a mile in their shoes".. )

With that in mind, I have a list of books to work on..they should get me through the beginning of the winter anyway...I am book crazy and always am adding more books to read through...my dream is to have a house with enough rooms to have one room, or some other fair sized space, just to use as a library.. I also ALWAYS have a pen in my hand, and generally either a pad or at least a piece of paper..I carry a small note book in my bag, just in case i get some sort of idea, or thought, or even a sketch...one thought to page goes in those small notebooks..when the idea is used the page comes out...


 This should get me started..and OH I already forgot to add one (how could I!) 

Baked Explorations - Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito

I am also working through Dorie Greenspan's 2 books, "Baking, From My House to Yours", and "Around My French Table".  (I can't say enough about this book.  Every recipe is a winner, and I know I will be going back to this one often.)

Winter is upon us, and it is time to think about our next moves..our next gardens, our next projects, healthier living and eating, maybe theres a job change ahead for us, or a move, new friends, or travel to a far off place... or some new venture...

Time for sitting by the fire with a good book, and glass of wine, (if you so choose) or a good cup of tea...

Earlier this week they had said this area might get snow Sunday night, so my son and I ran all over this week to pick up pet foods, and things we might need to hold us over if we do, like butter..so I can bake to my hearts content...and of course cheese and milk... the basic staples, so we would't have to run out. HAHA! NOW they are saying we will probably not get anything but ...it's weather...wait a few minutes, it will change!

But because we were so well "prepared" ahead of time, and whether or not we do get any snow...it is still cold outside, and now we don't have to go out for anything besides taking care of the animals, and bringing in wood... I am pretty excited about that because the past couple of weeks have been hectic, and I feel like we were out more then in, so I am looking forward to just spending time around the house reading, and cooking, and just relaxing together.....I remember when our sons were young, and we would go camping, we always tried to have everything we needed for at least the first 3 days, so we wouldn't have to get in the car for anything!  Those peaceful cool mornings with a hot cup of coffee, and fresh eggs, and toast were even more peaceful knowing we didn't have to rush off anywhere..



So today I have been starting sour dough starter, and will make some bread (a fruit filled bread), and bake a batch of Dorie's cookies...

So see ya later, maybe by the fire.


Where ever you are, or are going, or whatever you are doing, have a safe weekend....

Janie

No comments:

Post a Comment