Sunday, January 16, 2011

They Were Good!

I made my ...

gnocchi a la parisienne.

...for French Fridays With Dorie (or FFWD) from the Around My French Table.  I am so glad I did.  Now I have 3 different ways to make gnocchi.

These were very different.  They are really a choux pastry dough.  If you ever made a cream puff you can make these.  The sauce is  a bechamel.  That's hard to ruin, too. 

I heard someone say they "ruined their bechamel", and they had to start over.  You don't really have to start over unless you have burned it.  If it looks like it might get lumpy, I grab a whisk and beat while it is cooking.. Chances are you will end up with a smooth bechamel.  If there are any lumps left you can always strain it.  But in this recipe, I do not think a few tiny bumps will matter.  If it is too thick, thin it with some of the pasta water.  After the gnocchi are boiled and drained, and put in the prepared dish, it is topped with the bechamel sauce and grated cheese.  I used a combination gruyere and parmesan.  Then it is put in the over until bubbly and golden. They puff in the oven.  It went well with a simple green salad and a nice glass of red wine.

It is very rich, and I think if I make it again (which I probably will at some point) it will be as a starter, in individual dishes. 

I am SO sorry but I do not have pictures.  I took them, but the camera was too full. (Too many snow pictures left on for my son to see)  I didn't realize that until AFTER we ate and there was none left to photograph!  Lesson learned!  Make sure there's enough room in the camera!!


See ya later,

Tomorrow's a brand new day...(going be cold, but it's still a new day!)

Janie




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment